Hot cleaning rags strike fire in Eureka nursing home

EUREKA – A laundry mishap almost turned into a dangerous fire at a local nursing facility, but with quick action by staff and first responders, everyone was safe.

Just before 1AM Thursday, Humboldt Bay Fire crews were alerted of a fire in the laundry room at the Granada Rehabilitation and Wellness Center on Harris Street.

It started from cleaning rags that had been removed from the dryer too soon without cooling off.

The fire sprinkler helped in initial containment, as patients evacuated and Humboldt Bay Fire and an Arcata Fire unit headed to the scene.

Although there was some damage, there were no injuries.

Humboldt Bay Fire says to make sure to allow fabrics to go through the cool down phase in the dryer before placing them in piles.