Search for News

E.g., Saturday, March 28, 2015

News Archive

Local Stories


HUMBOLDT COUNTY- California restaurants are going to the dogs thanks to a bill signed by Governor Brown Thursday.

It allows man’s best friend to accompany restaurant patrons on outdoor patios. But there are a few rules that come with the new law. Dogs cannot go inside the restaurant, and while on the patio they must be on a leash and well behaved. The bill also says wait staff cannot...


EUREKA- It’s back to school here on the North Coast. College students were getting settled into the dorms Friday, marking their final weekend before the school year begins.

“It’s pretty cool actually. I've already made a lot of friends. People are cool and funny and friendly for the most part,” said Taylor Christiansen, a first time dorm resident at College of the Redwoods.



MIRANDA- The Southern Humboldt Unified School District is seeing an unexpected increase in enrollment of seventh and eighth graders this year.

The increase comes just before a brand new junior high school opens up for students in Miranda. School officials say when they began planning for this school year in March, they only had about 70 students enrolled for classes. As of last Thursday...


SOUTHERN HUMBOLDT- The Southern Humboldt Bus System will see another year of service. Officials with the Humboldt Transit Authority say the system generated ten percent of its $130,000 operating cost this year

Every bus system in the county must generate at least 10 percent of its operating cost in fares by its fourth year of existence. With the remaining 90 percent subsidized through...

The following is from the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office:

On Thursday, at approximately 9:00 a.m., the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office, with the assistance of the Humboldt County Drug Task Force, Cal-Fire Law Enforcement and a California Fish and Wildlife Biologist and Game Warden served Humboldt County Superior Court search warrants in the 40000 block of Mattole Road, Honeydew,...


FORTUNA- A group of Fortuna children showcased their digital media talents to city leaders and community members at the multigenerational center Thursday.

Fourteen kids ages nine to twelve, presented movie trailers, posters, stop animation and multi-camera interviews at an a media they made this summer as part of an interactive youth workshop. Access Humboldt taught the two-week class....

The following is from the Arcata Police Department:

On August 19th, at approximately 1:30pm, 24 year old Willow Creek resident Joel Alexander Johnston turned himself in to the Arcata Police Department and was booked into the Humboldt County Correctional Facility on charges of armed robbery and false imprisonment.  Johnston was identified as one of two suspects in a July 26th home...

The following is from the Bureau of Reclamation:

The Bureau of Reclamation will release additional water from Trinity Reservoir to supplement flows in the lower Klamath River to help protect the returning run of adult Chinook salmon. The public is urged to take all necessary precautions on or near the river while flows are high during this period.

“We have determined that...