UPDATE: CAL EMA ADMITS THEY WERE WRONG, MISCOMMUNICATION LEADS TO MISINFORMATION
We broke the story last week and then showed you both sides of the story last night: grant money going through the district attorney’s office under investigation. Now Cal EMA is saying they were wrong.
“Currently everything’s on pause except for the funds that have already been distributed.” Cal EMA claimed on Thursday and since we broke this story last week concerning grant money totaling in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. But that didn’t match up with what was told to the humboldt county district attorney’s office.
Paul Gallegos says, “The truth is the grants are fine… if you talk to Cal EMA you’ll find out they’re fine.”
Now today cal EMA is saying they got it wrong.
Brad Alexander, the spokesperson for Cal EMA says “we've had no issues and the grant continues to move along fine which counters what i had heard yesterday so there’s the monies are still available.”
Cal EMA admitted in a meeting earlier today to a miscommunication between their grants branch staff and with the public information office.
It’s that miscommunication that caused inaccurate information to be released to both News Channel 3 and the District Attorney’s office.
The statement from Cal EMA today read “we have ironed out all the issues and as far as Cal EMA is concerned there is no issue with the grant at this time.”
Now the concern from the D.A.’s office is local funding. They released this statement:
“Fortunately CalEMA representatives acknowledged that their office was the source of incorrect information and our grants are all in good standing. People, including other grantors, were understandably concerned by the misinformation. We hope this clearly established for everyone that our grants are not at risk. It would be unfortunate if we lost necessary funding as a result of the misinformation that was presented to the public.”