Jason Warren Sentenced to 9 Years for Assault with a Deadly Weapon
No charges have been filed against Jason Warren, the person of interest in the Freshwater hit and run and Hoopa homicide. He was in court, but not for those cases.
Warren was sentenced to 9 years and 4 months today for a case stemming back to March of this year. In August he was released on what’s called a “Cruz Waiver,” but failed to show up in court. Today the judge handed him a stricter sentence than anticipated.
Today’s decision was based upon charges of 2nd degree robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and felony possession of a firearm. The 28 year old requested to be released to handle his personal affairs. He was released August 25th.
District Attorney, Paul Gallegos said, "so what the court is saying is that I will let you free... But if you don't show for sentencing, certain things are going to happen to you."
He was supposed to return on September 7th for sentencing. He never did.
The DA says, “I can't say that the decision that the deputy made or the court made for that mater was incorrect. It's certainly one that we would have not want to be made."
The 28 year old has a criminal and juvenile record.
July 27, 2011: He was charged with assault and battery after allegedly striking a woman in the face. A protective order was filed and signed by the judge.
In June of 2007, case reports indicate that Warren was involved with a shooting in Willow Creek. He and another suspect were accused of shooting at a home from a vehicle with a rife. He was sentenced to 32 months for that crime.
Anthony has also been a ward of the Humboldt County Juvenile Court for attempted murder.
Warren has not been charged in connection with the crimes committed last week. Gallegos says there’s a process in this judicial system, and they plan to follow it.
He says, "All people in our system is presumed innocent. And the mere fact that someone is a suspect or a person of interest does not in fact mean they are guilty."