RESIDENTIAL FIRE IN FORTUNA: ONE FAMILY IS LEFT WITHOUT A PLACE TO SLEEP THIS NEW YEARS EVE
Fortuna, CA- A house fire in Fortuna has left one family without a place to sleep this New Years Eve, after their kitchen caught on fire.
This happened at about 4am this morning, in the 1500 block of Rohnerville Road.
The resident said she left the stove on and some phone books sitting by the stove, which may have started the caught fire.
Fortuna police officers responded to the call and assisted the family to safety.
When fire fighters arrived on the scene the entire back corner of the house was engulfed in flames.
Five engines and thirty fire fighters were able to put the blaze out in about 30 minutes.
Several children, and an elderly woman were evacuated, no one was injured.
The Fortuna Fire Chief told us, "The fire did damage the kitchen heavily. Got into attic space a little bit. A little bit of water damage. A lot of smoke damage. So we notified Red Cross right away. Red cross is great they came right to the family and they are in touch with them now."
The owner of the home says it was the smoke alarm that saved her and her family.