MAN RESCUED FROM HOUSE FIRE: 2 Dogs Perish in Myrtletown Blaze
Eureka, Ca-- Fire breaks out at Myrtletown home; a local firefighter rescues a man asleep inside. It happened just after 1:30 Wednesday afternoon at 1324 Bay Street in Eureka. Fire officials say two dogs were killed in the blaze after emergency personnel tried to save them. Officials say the fire started in the front living room area on a couch, they say it looks to have been accidental and was likely caused by a cigarette. Humboldt Bay Fire Battalion Chief Chris Emmons was the first on the scene, he says he rushed inside and pulled the sleeping resident out of his bed to safety.
“I don’t know if it was from smoke or what but I was able to access through a window,” Emmons said, “get him awake enough to come out the window, then the other engines and trucks pulled up and attacked the fire, knocked it down.”
The resident was treated in a nearby ambulance but did not suffer any major injuries.