Arcata Police Department are looking to keep trick-or-treators safe while collecting candy this Halloween.
The Department offers the following tips for a safe night:
- Adults should accompany children while trick-or-treating.
- Trick-or-treat in groups.
- Only go to homes where porch or exterior lights are on.
- Do not go inside anyone's home.
- Be cautious when crossing streets.
- Use sidewalks when available.
- Avoid shortcuts through back yards, alleys or parks.
- Do not eat any treat until a parent or guardian has inspected it.
- Wear costumes that allow freedom of movement to prevent tripping/falling.
- Wear light-colored costumes or add reflective tape to dark clothing.
- Carry glow sticks or flashlights and stay in well-lit areas.
- Report any and all suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.
- Motorists should use extreme caution and drive slowly to avoid accidents with children who might be distracted by the festivities.