From the Avoid the 8 DUI Task Force:
HUMBOLDT COUNTY, CA – The Avoid the 8 DUI Task Force is deploying extra officers this holiday weekend and will be conducting DUI Saturation Patrols countywide to stop and arrest drunk or drugged drivers and to heighten awareness of the deadly combination that alcohol, drugs, and driving can have on this first holiday weekend of the summer season.
Along with warm weather and start of the vacation season, it’s also the season for college and high school graduations. With so many reasons for celebrations, law enforcement is sending two messages: 1) don’t drink and drive, nor ride with someone who has been drinking, and 2) extra officers will working to stop and arrest those who drive impaired.
The start of the summer season on this 3-day holiday weekend will find law enforcement reminding everyone to make plans now for those weekend trips and celebrations. Make sure to use a ‘Designated Sober Driver’ to prevent arrest or worse, a deadly driving tragedy.
The County’s DUI Task Force kicks off Friday night by deploying officers for special DUI Saturation Patrols across Humboldt County. These saturation patrols will continue through Monday. Additionally, the California Highway Patrol is deploying all available officers Memorial Day weekend onto freeways and county roads as part of their Maximum Enforcement Period.
Law enforcement region-wide is asking for everyone’s support this holiday weekend and all summer long:
• Plan ahead. Arrange rides home for your friends, family, co-workers and yourself before the drinking begins.
• Those hosting celebrations and servers must limit drinks to your guests or patrons. Don’t serve more than one or two over several hours.
• Identify and provide free non-alcoholic drinks to the Designated Sober Driver. For tasty drink recipes, visit the DDrink Mixology Center at www.facebook.com/CaliforniaOTS.
• If you are the Designated Driver, download the special Smartphone app that makes you the VIP, with free non-alcoholic drinks and other freebies – www.ddvipca.com
• Cut back on the amount of drinks you plan to bring to the party – and provide plenty of food.
• If you see dangerous driving, Report Drunk Drivers – Call 9-1-1!
In addition to the Memorial Day DUI crackdown, law enforcement nationwide is looking to stop and ticket those who have failed to buckle up or secure young passengers. Remember Click It or Ticket!
Funding for the Avoid DUI Task Force is by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The Avoid Task Force will deploy checkpoints and DUI patrols next during the Independence Day Holiday and for the summer August/Labor Day DUI Mobilization.