More than 20 people were evacuated after a fire ripped through several buildings in Eureka early this morning.
"I pretty much lost everything," Michael Waldrip said.
Waldrip is one of three people that have to find other living arrangements after a fire destroyed two buildings on Myrtle Avenue.
"By the time I got outside the whole house and the rest of the bedroom and the upstairs were on fire," Waldrip said.
Humboldt Bay Fire said they got the call just after 3:30 a.m. Officials believe the fire was accidental and it likely started from a dryer inside Crossroads, a sober living and rehabilitation facility.
“It was actually in our office area and our group area,” Crossroads Program Manager Shawn Doney said. “The actual residents were actually in the main part of the house not where the fire was. There's a little bit of damage to it."
Firefighters said it was burning for at least thirty minutes before anyone called. Luckily no one was injured and those 16 residents in Crossroads will be able to return.
"Kind of devastating though,” Crossroads Addiction Specialist Denise Lee said. “We're a non-profit organization and we run on minimal bones here so hopefully we'll be able to stay open."
As for those three in the apartment building next to crossroads— they are receiving resources from the American Red Cross. Waldrip said he’s thankful for the relief, but said he’s sad he lost memorabilia and the pace he called home for 13 years.
"I never thought something like this would happen to me,” Waldrip said. “It's hard. It's really hard. At least I have family I can rely on."
Do you think all emergency response vehicles should be equipped with in-car video systems?