Caltrans Road Conditions:     - Click for more Info
For 24-hour Air Quality Information, call the NCUAQMD’s hotline toll-free at 1-866-BURN-DAY (1-866-287-6329).:     - Click for more Info

Eureka structure fire caused by faulty electrical cord

Get flash to see this video, or turn javascript back on

EUREKA- A faulty electrical cord was the cause of a structure fire this morning on Humboldt Hill in Eureka.

It happened just before  9 a.m. a garage in a duplex on the 6300 of Humboldt Hill Road caught fire. Neighbors and passerbys helped attack the flames before fire crews arrived on scene.

"I pulled over, put on my blinkers, I was one of the first responders," Eureka Resident Daniel Badeaux said. "Me and it looked like the rest of the family members grabbed fire extinguishers from the walls and we probably exhausted about five fire extinguishers in the building itself." 

The fire was knocked down quickly with the garage and home sustaining minor damage. A dog, cat and birds were removed from the home. There were no injuries but fire crews say, you should always be careful and know your surroundings if you choose to try and extinguish a fire.

"We caution everybody to be safe when attacking a fire the best thing to do is get an early notification to us," Humboldt Bay Fire Battalion Chief Chris Emmons said. "If you're going to attack the fire with a fire extinguishers, make sure you can still get away from it."