US 101 from Benbow Drive to Cooks Valley open to one lane controlled traffic: - Click for more Info
Eureka structure fire caused by transients
FIELDS LANDING- An early morning fire on the 3000 block of I Street in Eureka is believed to have been caused by transients.
Crews from Humboldt Bay Fire responded to the call at 1:45 Thursday morning, finding an outbuilding fully engulfed in flames.
The structure is part of an abandoned home and no one was inside the building at the time. Fire officials say the structure is completely destroyed.
“We were able to eliminate that there was no power to the building and we found evidence of transient activity so we suspect somebody probably stayed over night there or was sleeping there for a little while. You know, as it is getting colder out, as the weather is changing a little bit, we do find more incidences of people using fire to heat or a candle for some sort of lighting,” said Humboldt Bay Fire Battalion Chief Kent Hulbert.
Would you like to see other cities partner up on art projects for the community?