EUREKA- Firefighters were called to the scene of a house fire in Eureka on Friday. Fire officials say they got the call at a home in the 2200 block of Union Street just after 4 p.m. They say it was a small fire that took 15 minutes to put out, and they were on the scene for two hours. No one was injured in the fire and the family was able to return to the home. Fire officials say the damage is about $2,000. Fire officials add that it appears accidental.
"Preliminary investigation is it was an outside fire that was probably caused by an occupant smoking outside and he cast aside his cigarette butt and it just kind of extended up into the wall and got up into the attic space,” said Sean Robertson, the Battalion Chief of Humboldt Bay Fire.
Fire officials urge the public to get rid of cigarettes in a non-combustible container and make sure they are put out.
Do you agree with President Obama's plan to take Executive Action for immigration reform?