Arcata Fire Protection District wants to warn people about the dangers of a neglected chimney. 36 percent of fires in homes are heating fires and fire officials said that can be avoided by getting a professional chimney clean yearly.
Wood and fossil fuels burned in fireplaces can cause a buildup of chemicals along the inner walls of chimneys. Arcata Fire said these chemicals can burn up and if a chimney isn't maintained can spread into the attic through cracks.
Have you visited North Coast National or State Parks in the last year?