From the Humboldt Bay Fire Department:
At 12:30 A.M. Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a residential structure fire at the 2200 Block of A Street in Eureka. Three engines, one ladder truck and two chief officers were dispatched. The first arriving chief reported moderate smoke throughout the residence. Crews quickly extinguished the fire and removed debris. A search of the building showed that no one was inside.
Seventeen firefighters responded. Fire control in fifteen minutes from time of dispatch. The fire was confined to the laundry/water heater room, back porch, and kitchen. Time on scene, one hour. Loss estimated at $20,000 for structural damage and contents.
Arcata Fire Department provided one engine to cover the Humboldt Bay Fire jurisdiction
The cause of the fire after investigation was found to be clothing and other combustibles placed too close to the water heater. It is surmised that the gas water heater burner ignited resulting in ignition of the surrounding combustibles.
Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind everyone to have their gas appliances inspected annually and to keep combustibles at least three feet away from heat sources such as water heaters and furnaces. Additionally, ensure your residence’s smoke detectors are operational, as after you go to sleep this may be the only way you and your family are alerted to a fire inside your home.
Do you agree with President Obama's new sanctions against Russia over the crisis in Ukraine?