ARCATA- A Humboldt State University student has suffered from first and second degree burns after a grease fire inside the residents hall.
The small blaze started after 9 p.m. Thursday when grease in the pan ignited. The student received burns on her face and hands after attempting to move the pot off the burner and into the sink. She was taken to Mad River Hospital, two other students were evaluated for smoke inhalation and one was taken to the hospital.
The heat from the fire activated a sprinkler system which extinguished the fire inside Shasta Residents Hall. Arcata Fire Protection District Chief, Desmond Cowan, said the sprinkler was able to knock out the fire which prevented further damage or threat to other residents.
University personnel and firefighters evacuated the building and there were no other injuries.
Should the Humboldt County Correctional Facility provide more re-entry fairs for prisoners?