Officials say death from Arcata fire could have been prevented
ARCATA- The cause of Arcata's deadly fire was due to a single discarded cigarette said Fire Investigators. According to Arcata Fire a cigarette was discarded into a container next to the bed that eventually spread to the mattress and the rest of the house. Stephen McGeary died as a result of smoke inhalation said the Humboldt County Coroner's Office.
According to an Investigation Task Force McGeary discarded the cigarette next to his bed that spread to other items in there and eventually spread to the mattress then the house. According to Battalion Chief Sean Campbell the fire spread due to the high fuel amount in the small home.
McGeary was trapped in a bathroom in the center of the home with the fire burning on all sides. Cambell said that there were no working smoke alarms in the home that would have alerted the two residents of the fire sooner.
Would you support a bill that would prevent state agencies from disclosing citizen information to federal agents without a warrant?