One rescued from structure fire on Fairfield Street
EUREKA - A 17-year-old girl was rescued from a structure fire in Eureka Monday morning.
Humboldt Bay firefighters responded to the 2200 block of Fairfield Street just after 8:30.
When they arrived, smoke was coming from the back of the home. They were able to knock the blaze down quickly while another crew rescued the trapped girl through the second story front window. 3 cats were in the home and one died in the incident.
A clothes dryer was determined to be the cause. Damage is estimated at $40,000.
"The first floor is pretty well gutted. That's a utility laundry room area. The fire did extend the outside of the structure floor. The rest of the structure. The living space, otherwise, is in pretty good shape," Chief Ken Woods said.
Should the Humboldt County Correctional Facility provide more re-entry fairs for prisoners?