Structure fire destroys home and vehicle in Eureka
EUREKA- A Eureka man was left without a home or a vehicle after a structure fire.
Just before 5 Thursday evening, Humboldt Bay fire responded to the 1000 block of Vernon Street in Myrtletown to find a duplex and truck engulfed in flames. It took about fifteen minutes to extinguish the blaze but the home had severe damage.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen for unknown reasons and then spread to the garage. Propane cylinders exploded and enhanced the fire. A power line also went down in the back yard and PG&E had to de-energize the lines.
The Red Cross was on scene assisting and the victim’s small pet terrier ran from the fire and is missing. The man told authorities it was the worst thing he’s been through since the Viet Nam War.