BREAKING: Eureka Police investigating homicide :     - Click for more Info
BREAKING: Two people shot in Eastern Humboldt:     - Click for more Info

Structure Fire Update: Fire Began With Discarded Cigarette

Get flash to see this video, or turn javascript back on

MCKINLEYVILLE- Fire officials believe a structure fire that occurred in McKinleyville Tuesday evening started from a discarded cigarette.

The fire happened at 1762 ½ Bird Avenue shortly after 5pm.The fire began outside between a home and shed. The flames quickly spread to engulf the house. Fire officials say power lines fell on the house, collapsing the roof.

No one was inside the home at the time and there were no injuries. Multiple engines arrived at the scene to fight the fire.

“We strongly believe that the most likely cause was a discarded cigarette,” said Arcata Fire Battalion Chief Sean Campbell. “It was also fueled by the high winds which allowed things to dry out a little bit more. A smoldering fire can grow once wind gets on it and we believe that's exactly what happened."

The home was completely destroyed. The local red cross-shelter is working closely with the family to assist them.