For 24-hour Air Quality Information, call the NCUAQMD’s hotline toll-free at 1-866-BURN-DAY (1-866-287-6329).: - Click for more Info
Thanksgiving residential fire caused by chimney
CUTTEN- A chimney was the cause of a residential fire in Cutten on Thursday and fire officials say it could have been prevented.
Humboldt bay fire responded to reports of flames around 3 p.m. on the 4200 block of Walnut Drive. When firefighters arrived on scene, they found a small fire on the home’s roof. According to fire officials, an ember fell out of the chimney and onto surrounding shingles. No one was injured and there was minimal damage to the home. With temperature beginning to drop, fire officials say warming fires like these are more likely to occur but can easily be prevented.
“This time of year is definitely, with weather getting colder they definitely have their wood stoves going,” said Battalion Chief Bill Reynolds. “We encourage people to make sure to have their chimney cleaned on a regularly basis and to make sure all of their safety equipment, the spark arresters on top are operating and can help avoid this in the future.”