Lithium Battery Starts Residential Fire in McKinleyville

ARCATA (KIEM)– The Arcata Fire Department is investigating a garage fire that broke out in McKinleyville.

It happened just after 8 p-m on Monday evening.

Arcata Fire was dispatched to a residential fire. Officials say, the family was waiting outside reporting a fire in the garage.

Firefighters cut through the garage door and found a fire burning in one corner of the garage.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames.

The damage is estimated at 60-thousand dollars.

The fire started after a lithium battery overheated and ignited while it was being charged.