HUMBOLDT COUNTY, Ca. (KIEM) The California Department of Public Health issues a warning about deadly toxins in the wild shellfish in Humboldt County.
Dangerous levels of paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins have been detected in mussels, clams, and scallops. P.S.P. toxins can cause illness or death, and cannot be removed through the cooking process.
Reactions to the toxin begin with a tingling sensation around the mouth and finger tips, as the toxins impact the central nervous system. There is usually a lack of coordination, slurred speech, and difficulty swallowing.
Public Health is advising consumers to avoid consuming local shell fish, for more information, call 800-553-4133.