Structure fire displaces two, occupants lucky to be alive say fire chief

COURTESY: CRESCENT CITY FIRE & RESCURE (KIEM)

CRECENT CITY, Calif. (KIEM)-Fire officials believe a dropped cigarette is to blame for the fire that destroyed two motorhomes in Crescent City.

It happened a little after 9’oclock Monday morning on the 100-block of Dakota Street.

Crews arrived to heavy fire coming from a motorhome, used as a residence.

The fire then spread to a neighboring motorhome which appeared to have been vacant, according to Crescent City’s Fire Chief.

The Red Cross was on-scene to assist the two displaced occupants with temporary housing.

Crescent City Fire & Rescue want to remind residents to have working smoke alarms.

“Definitely could have been worse had the fire broke out at night,” said Fire Chief Bill Gillespie. “A lot of people think that the smoke will wake them up, but the smoke actually makes them go deeper into sleep.

“Had it been nighttime when they were there asleep, we could have possibly had two fatalities.”

The fire was knocked down in about 20-minutes, both homes are a total loss, the fire cause an estimated $10,000 in damages.