Local Artist Runs into Burning Building

0
352

A glass artist located in McKinleyville jumped into action when he smelled something burning around six thirty, Wednesday night.

Andrew Jordan has been at his studio for two years now, becoming close friends with the owner of his neighbor in business, N.E.R.D. Scooters.

Jordan was first alerted by the alarm of the N.E.R.D. building, but he saw no smoke at first. He then tried to get into contact with the owner to let him know the situation. An employee of the scooter shop was able to come and join Jordan as they tried to get into the building, but neither of them could gain access without a key.

Jordan recalls the moment he decided enough was enough; “And then we heard some popping noises happening. You know, through the door, so at that point – I made the decision to break the glass and go in there. Sure enough, there it was all lit up, like in the video. So, I knew there was a fire extinguisher in my shop, so we just ran over there and grabbed that one and went in and put it out.”

The video Jordan is referring to is posted here, filmed by his nephew.

Arcata Fire says a lithium battery was responsible for the E-bike caught fire at N.E.R.D. Scooter’s on Nursery Way.

Thanks to Jordan’s experience as a contractor, he says he knows the smell of an electrical fire well. “I’m a contractor by trade, and it’s the way a drill smells when it’s, like, overheating. You know, if you’ve. It’s that, you know, that electrical burning smell, you know.” He shares to Redwood News.

Even though the fire started after the Scooter shop had already closed and was empty, the owner was still quite shaken up from the ordeal.

Jordan admitted, “he’s a little stressed out, but, you know, I think, I don’t think it’s going to be as bad for him as he thinks it is, I hope not.”

When asked if Jordan would change anything if he could do it all over again, he said yes; “I wish I had, had the insight the inclination to go through sooner because I had heard it and smelled it a good 4 or 5 minutes before I actually made the decision to reach the building.” 

Arcata Fire says that Jordan’s quick thinking kept his neighbors business from burning down.