Fortuna structure fire determined to be accidental, likely electrical use issues


FORTUNA, CA. – Investigators looking into the cause of a residence that lit on fire this weekend in Fortuna have determined it was accidental.

This building was home to eight family members from three generations when it sparked early Saturday morning.

Fire personnel responded at 6:20 and all the family members got out safely, but pets including a dog were lost to the flames.

The displaced family members are receiving assistance from Red Cross and Fortuna Fire Ladies Auxiliary.

Investigators have come to the conclusion the cause was electrical issues in a living room, most likely due to a conglomeration of extension cord use causing overload.

The Fortuna Volunteer Fire Department advises that for appliances used regularly, plug them directly into the wall and only use extension cords for light-duty appliances, and unplug when you’re done.

Also, always make sure your smoke detectors are working.