Arcata Fire warns about the dangers of Open Flame Candles


Arcata, Ca., (KIEM) Tonight, a warning about household open-flame candles.

Arcata and Blue Lake Fire Districts responded to a residential structure fire over the weekend. 

On arrival, crews found a small fire in the living room of a townhouse that started as a result of an open-flame candle that was left unattended.

Arcata Fire reminds the community that candles with an open flame should never be left unattended, not even for a short period of time.

Arcata Fire District is also urging the use of LED candles and lighting.

“Normally people use candles when there’s power outages. We highly recommend that you don’t use open flame candles, but that you use the small battery-operated candles,” said Arcata Fire Marshal, Ed Laidlaw. “If you do use an open flame candle make sure the candle is in a container that can contain all of the wax that will melt. And make sure it’s far enough from combustibles. I’m just going to say 18 inches, that’s usually a good minimum.”

Saturday night’s fire left nearly $30,000 dollars worth of damage.