HUMBOLDT COUNTY, Calif. (KIEM)-Those with hand sanitizers in their home need to check the label.
The Food and Drug Administration is warning that several may contain a toxic chemical.
The agency says nine products manufactured by Mexico-based Eskbiochem may contain methanol
The FDA warns consumers of the products listed below:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
The FDA says substance in the hand sanitizer can be dangerous when absorbed through the skin or ingested.
The FDA did not say where the products are sold in the U.S.
The agency says anyone who has been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should seek treatment immediately.
The FDA also says it is not aware of any adverse events related to these products.
Humboldt Counties Health Officer Dr. Teresa Franchovich says there are alternative brands available, and reading the label on sanitizer should be common practice.
“The best all-around but it should be at least 60 % ethanol alcohol in there for effectiveness,” said Franchovich.
“The Isopropyl is another an alternative, however this one specifically, for instance we are not recommending for use in kids under nine unsupervised because it does have some potential to be absorbed through the skin, in a young child especially,” she said. “The methanol which is used in this FDA warning, are highly toxic product that should not be used in a hand sanitizer.”
Franchovich adds, hand sanitizer is not meant for kids under the age of two.
That age group typically keep their hands in their mouth which can pose a danger.
For more information and the list of products affected can be found by clicking here.