EUREKA, Calif. (KIEM)- Humboldt Bay Fire crews had their hands full Tuesday morning after smoke was seen coming from a warehouse on West Hawthorn Street in Eureka.
At around 11 a.m. Tuesday, employees of the Humboldt Waste Management Authority’s waste transfer station in Eureka saw smoke coming from a garbage pile inside of the warehouse.
“It burst into flames. So, immediately our operators removed the equipment, we got the general public out of our facility and contacted Humboldt Bay Fire department and they responded right away,” said Executive Director for Humboldt Waste Management Authority Jill Duffy.
Once the fire crews arrived, most of the fire was knocked down within the first 20 minutes.
After the incident, the facility was shut down for the rest of the day to the public in order to allow for final mop-up activities and fire safety follow-up, but they were able to reopen early Wednesday morning.
Humboldt waste management has some tips for people so something like this doesn’t happen again.
“One thing that is really important for people to remember is that batteries shouldn’t be getting placed into the trash,” said Duffy. “If you are cleaning your fireplace as we are starting to enter into the fall season, making sure the ashes are completely cool and the again being really aware of anything that can be creating some sort of heat and combustion.”